What is OET?
The OET (Occupational English Test) is an English language test, tailor-made for healthcare professionals wishing to register and practise in English-speaking countries. It is recognised by healthcare boards and councils in the UK, the USA, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Dubai, Singapore and more. The test aims at providing an accurate understanding of a candidate’s capacity to communicate in English specifically in a healthcare setting. The OET is available to be taken by health professionals belonging to 12 diverse fields - dentistry, dietetics, medicine, nursing, occupational therapy, optometry, pharmacy, physiotherapy, podiatry, radiography, speech pathology, and veterinary science
Why should I prepare for the OET at CILA?
That’s a good question! Here are 5 reasons why:
- OET endorses us. Since 2020, CILA has been a Premium Preparation Provider, 1 of the only 7 such institutes in India. To quote OET themselves we have ‘demonstrated high levels of quality in material creation and curriculum planning’. Find us on their list of Premium Preparation Providers here.
- Our trainers are OET accredited. We employ only the best because we want to give you the best. All our teachers are registered OET instructors who have received the OET Knowledge Badge with a certification in teaching English from Trinity College London or the University of Cambridge. You can get to know them better here.
- We have a unique approach to training. At CILA we do not believe in simply preparing you for the OET, but facilitating the development of your communication skills to face the real English-speaking world as well. We aim to inculcate skills that stay with you for a lifetime.
- We take care of everything from A to Z. From the moment you enrol at CILA, you do not have to worry about anything except getting here on time for your sessions everyday. From all the resources you need – whether it be OET approved coursebooks, practice worksheets, notebooks and even stationery – all the way to assistance booking your test and even putting you in contact with recruitment agencies after you’ve achieved your desired scores, we cover it all.
- We are certified partners of Cambridge University Press. For the past 5 years, CILA has been one of the largest consumers of authentic training materials from the Cambridge University Press in the country. We provide you only the best, be it the Empower series for general English improvement or our IELTS and OET training materials.
If I do the OET preparation course at CILA, which modules will I be covering?
Just as in the IELTS, the OET tests 4 skills in a candidate – reading, listening, speaking and writing. While the Reading and Listening modules are the same for all professions, the Writing and Speaking modules have been developed specifically to test a candidate’s language skills in situations that are particular to their specialty alone. At CILA we will be covering all 4 modules, along with one extra module – Grammar for Writing.
|Module||Time Taken + Raw Score||Description|
|Reading||Part A = 15 min
Parts B & C = 45 min
Total = 1 hour
Raw Score = 42
The OET Reading test has 3 parts – Parts A, B and C respectively.
Part A = 8-10 min (approx.)
Part B = 10-12 min (approx.)
Part C = 10-15min (approx.)
Total = 45-50 min (approx.)
including pauses between audios
Raw Score = 42
The OET Listening test has 3 parts – Parts A, B and C respectively.
Warm up = 2-4 min
Preparation time = 3 min x 2
Speaking time = 5 min x 2
Total = 20 min (approx.)
Raw Score = 39
|The OET Speaking test comprises 2 role-plays wherein a candidate will be given a situation where they have to interact with a patient (played by the OET interlocutor). The situation will be specific to their profession only and they will have 3 minutes to prepare prior to each roleplay, during which they can go through the cue card detailing the scenario and their tasks. Each role-play will then play out for 5 minutes, during which candidates are expected to complete as many tasks on their cue card as they can. Prior to the role-play, the interlocutor will ask the candidate a few warm-up questions about familiar topic to make the candidate comfortable – these are general questions about them; their educational qualifications, job, interests, family, etc. You can find more details about the OET Speaking test on the official OET website here: The OET Speaking Test|
Reading time = 5 min
Writing time = 40 min
Total = 45 min
Raw Score = 39
|For the OET Writing test candidates will be given a patient case note. They are required to write a formal letter to another medical or non-medical professional requesting their reader to perform one or more tasks for the patient in question. Candidates will have 5 minutes to read the case note and 40 minutes to write the letter. You can find more details about the OET Writing test on the official OET website here: The OET Writing Test|
|Grammar for Writing & Speaking||NA||This is NOT a module in the OET; however, it is a module covered at CILA to help potential candidates cope better with the Writing and Speaking modules. It covers basic as well as complex grammar concepts that are necessary when writing an OET letter or doing the speaking role-play.|
How is the OET course structured at CILA?
The OET Preparation course at CILA is an 10-week course. However, if you wish to do a crash course focusing only on specific modules, this is possible as well. You can also attend extra exam practice batches if you feel you need more practice before the exam! The complete OET course at CILA is structured as follows; please note, they will not necessarily run in the same order, however for each student taking up the complete course, all 5 modules will be covered in no particular order before they begin the exam batch.
How much would I have to pay?
|Complete Course||The complete 10-week course covering all modules and 5 weeks of exam practice.The sessions will include skill development classes for Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking and enough practice tests for all modules and individual correction and feedback.||20,000 INR including textbooks, notebooks, practice materials, stationery etc.|
|ONLINE PART-TIME (convenient for working nurses)||Course Duration: 16 weeks. There will be 2 OET training slots (timings) daily from Monday to Friday. The first slot is from 9.30 am to 11.30 am and the same session will be repeated by the same teacher from 7.00 pm to 9.00 pm (All Indian time). Students need to attend only one of these slots at your convenience. The sessions will include skill development classes for Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking and enough practice tests for all modules and individual correction and feedback.||20,000 INR including textbooks, notebooks, practice materials and stationery (will be sent by courier)|
|Crash Course||1 or more modules of your choice and/or exam practice weeks.||2,500 INR per week|
|Extra Exam Practice||Extra exam practice beyond the initial 3 weeks for previously enrolled students who completed the 8-week course.||An additional 1500 INR per week|
I would like to apply… where do I turn in my application? – Right here!
If you’d like to turn in your application physically you can visit us
INKEL Tower 1, Near TELK, Angamaly South, Ernakulam District, Kerala, India, 683573
Apply for the OET hereApply Now
Do you have any further questions? Here are some FAQs!
About the OET
|450 – 500||A|
|350 – 440||B|
|300 – 340||C+|
|200 – 290||C|
|100 – 190||D|
|00 – 90||E|
- You are a practicing healthcare professional OR you hold at least a graduate degree in 1 of the 12 medical disciplines the OET assesses.
- You are a non-native English speaker i.e.; English is your second language.
- You wish to work in an English-speaking environment outside your country.
- You currently hold a passport which does not belong to an English-speaking country.
About the OET at CILA
- Cabs can easily be booked via Ola and Uber to drop you to the location; it is easy to find on the map and generally well known in the area in case you have trouble navigating.
- There is also a bus stand right outside the main gate of INKEL Business Park and a rickshaw stand right opposite. Once you get to the main gate, a we run a bus service in the morning and the evening that you can peruse to get to the institution.
- If you fancy a walk from the main gate, it’s about a 10-minute walk to the institute. As long as the scorching Kerala heat isn’t boring down your neck, it is a quiet and serene walk cutting through lush greenery, allowing you to experience a slice of God’s own Country every morning.
|Morning||Between 9:00 to 9:25|
|Evening||Between 3:15 to 5:30|
Do you have something else you’d like to know? Leave us a message and we’ll get right back to you!
Apply for OET