What is the Trinity College London DipTESOL?
The Trinity College London Diploma in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (DipTESOL) is an English Language Teaching qualification rated at a Level 7 on Ofqual’s Regulated Qualifications Framework which makes it comparable to a Master’s degree or any other post-graduate qualification. It is ideal for experienced practitioners wishing to progress to positions in management, teacher education and examining. It’s also suitable for teachers wanting to advance their knowledge and skills for their own personal development, or to support and guide less experienced colleagues. The Trinity College London DipTESOL is accepted by the British Council and other international teaching organisations around the world as a full English language teaching certification.
Why should I do my DipTESOL at CILA, Kerala, India?
That’s a good question! Here are 8 reasons why:
- We have highly-trained professionals The Trinity DipTESOL course offered by CILA, Angamaly, Kerala, is led by instructors who have completed their Level 7 TEFL qualifications and have more than 20 years of experience in the field. You can get to know them better here.
- We have well-equipped smart classrooms Be it teaching practice or input sessions, CILA has classrooms equipped with OHPs, desktops with active internet connections, and smartboards, allowing you to experience, implement and experiment with modern-age teaching technology.
- We are the only Trinity College London DipTESOL centre in India. CILA Kerala is the only provider of the Trinity College London DipTESOL and an OFQUAL Level 7 qualification in India, allowing Indian nationals a chance to fulfil their dreams without leaving the country and providing foreign nationals with the opportunity to experience the wonders of India while doing the same! Find us on the list of official DipTESOL certification providers here.
- CILA is located in the heart of God’s own country. Need we say more? CILA is situated in Angamaly, Ernakulam, a suburb of Kochi which makes it the perfect place to experience Kerala while also allowing you the right environment to focus on a course this intensive. Attractions like the Athirapally Water Falls, Fort Kochi, Cherai Beach and Lulu Mall are only 1-2 hours away, should you need respite from your coursework and the area is surrounded by restaurants that offer one the opportunity to sample authentic Kerala cuisine. The airport is only 6 kms away from CILA too, which makes it extremely convenient for those coming from outside.
- When you have completed the Trinity College London’s DipTESOL at CILA Kerala, you will be given 60 level 7 credits. These can be used towards a completing a related Master’s degree. CILA has a relationship with the University of Sunderland in the UK and you can take an online or in person Master’s degree in English Language Teaching (the M.ELT) with exemption from the first 3 months of the course and a fee reduction of 33%.
Taking this route will ensure that, as a candidate for a senior position in ELT, you have an excellent blend of advanced practical teaching skills (DipTESOL) and advanced theoretical knowledge(M.ELT): a career boosting combination.
- As you will be taking the course at CILA Kerala, there is the possibility for Indian nationals of working as a teacher there during the course. The normal recruitment process will be followed and a job offer would be made based on qualifications and length of experience.
- This Dip TESOL has been specifically designed to focus on teaching in multilingual countries, especially where English is an official language. It covers the whole Trinity Curriculum but emphasises the complexity of teaching in multilingual situations.
- This Dip TESOL is also rooted in the evidence-based approach to teaching. As a result, those completing the course will have a clear understanding of the use of research in teaching, excellent preparation for higher studies, such as the M.ELT or Ph.D.
- Collaboration with the University of Sunderland After completing the Trinity College Diploma in TESOL, you have the option to enroll in a shortened, reduced-price MA in TESOL program at the University of Sunderland, available in both online and in-person formats. CILA has a collaboration agreement with the University, renowned for its high standard of education courses. Following the MA, you may choose to apply for a Ph.D. in TESOL to further develop your expertise in the field.
What modules will I be covering if I choose to do my DipTESOL?
All Trinity College London DipTESOL course participants are assessed on their performance in 4 units. Additionally, prior to the course, participants are also expected to complete a set number of pre-course assignments and reading.
|These include a range of readings and exercises/assignments aimed at recapping all that is covered during the CertTESOL. – basic concepts in grammar, phonology, teaching methodology, language acquisition and classroom management, along with an introduction to research methodology.
|Unit 1 – Language, Teaching and Learning
Sections 2 & 3 will only be assessed if you pass Section 1
This unit is a 3-hour written exam with 3 sections:
|Unit 2 – The Teacher as a Developmental Reflective Practitioner
Internally Assessed and Externally Moderated –
The coursework portfolio for this unit must comprise 3 projects. Each of these submissions must be between 27,000 and 33,0000 words in length, excluding the contents page, bibliography and appendices. This word limit can be stretched to 35,000 words, but with a deduction of marks. The 3 projects in this unit are as follows:
|Unit 3 – Phonological Theory in Classroom Practice
Externally Assessed –
This unit entails a 30-minute interview with a Trinity examiner that has 3 sections
|Unit 4 – Learner Analysis, Preparation, Delivery and Self-Evaluation in Teaching
Internally and Externally Assessed
|This unit requires participants to plan, deliver and reflect upon a minimum of 5 observed 60-minute lessons. Of these, at least 1 will be externally assessed, while the rest will be internally assessed. Participants will also be expected to submit an internally assessed and externally moderated teaching journal based on internally assessed lessons.
How is the course structured?
This is a blended learning course comprised of a 26-week programme with 24 weeks part time, online and 2 weeks full time at CILA Angamaly, Kerla. You can also complete the full-time aspects on the course online as you will be doing your 4 internally assessed lessons and one moderator assessed lesson during that time. The arrangements for this have to be discussed and approved by the Course Director.
During this time, participants will be exposed to the knowledge and skills they will need to attempt the assessments in each of the units. Following this, they must attempt any one of Units 1,3 or 4 within a year. This can be done in no particular order, in accordance to the participant’s convenience and availability of test dates. After the participant has completed any one of these units, they will have 3 years to complete Unit 2, although at CILA Kerala we strive to ensure that the candidate completes the entire course in a much shorter timeframe than this. We will assist you in designing a course time line to suit your particular circumstances.
How much would I have to pay?
If you wish to take up the DipTESOL at CILA, here are the expenses you will have to take into account:
|This fee covers the complete course. It also includes all facilities, materials and resources provided such as reference books needed for the course, library access, access to computers with a Wi-Fi connection, printer access with a provision to print the first 500 sheets for free, tea and coffee whenever you need a bus service to and from the main gate to the institute on working days and an airport or railway station pick-up at any time of the day on arrival.
|Approximately € 2,518.5
|The examination fee is to be paid separately and is NOT included in the training fee. It must be paid 2 months before your first submission, so you can take up to 1 month after joining our institute to pay this.
(Approximately ₹ 45,000/-)
|Total = 2,55,500/-
Information for International students
If you are accepted on a Trinity College London’s DipTESOL course (OFQUAL LEVEL 7) at Cochin International Language Academy – CILA, Kerala, India, we will provide you with all the documents you need for applying for a student visa for the face-to-face part of the course. Usually, the visa is granted and you will be given a visa that is longer than the course. After completing the course, you are allowed to travel around India with a student visa. We shall assist you in finding a suitable accommodation for your stay. There are various accommodation options available near to CILA. Please feel free to ask all your questions during the interview. The fee for Trinity DIPTESOL course for the year 2023 will be INR 210000/- (USD 2550, GBP 2100) along with the Trinity Examination fee of Rs.45000/- (USD 550, GBP 450).
Kerala is a sub-tropical paradise and sunshine is guaranteed for most of the year. We are located near Cochin International Airport (COK) so it is easy and convenient to come to Kerala as there are flights from most countries via the Middle East. There are abundant opportunities to explore the beautiful and sunny beaches, waterfalls and you can cool off in the hill stations like Munnar, Wagamon, Ootty, Kodaikkanal and Wayanad.
CILA Kerala is a well-equipped and modern institution so you can use the up-to-date technology and be ready for traditional classrooms as well as digital ones. The students are a joy to teach as they are very motivated and open to learning. Most of them are young adults who are taking international English tests as they want to better themselves, looking for jobs overseas and in India where they are required to use high level English.
People in Kerala are known for their hospitable and kindly approach to people from other countries. Added to that, there is abundant food grown in Kerala as a result of the Monsoon climate and there are three harvests a year. As a result, it is possible to buy delicious fresh produce cheaply. There are also very modern shopping malls, offering both local and international products so a huge range of goods is available.
The staff members at CILA are highly qualified and the Trinity College London’s CertTESOL and DipTESOL courses are taught by a mixture of British and Indian staff.
Trinity College London Diploma in TESOL course dates.
The course has a part time component of 24 weeks that is offered online, followed by a two-week full-time component that is taken face to face at CILA in Kerala.
I would like to apply… where do I turn in my application? – Right here!
If you’d like to turn in your application physically you can visit us
INKEL Tower 1, Near TELK, Angamaly South, Ernakulam District, Kerala, India, 683573
Apply for the DipTESOL hereApply Now
Do you have any further questions? Here are some FAQs!
About the DipTESOL
Now, this is certainly true for the Level 5 qualifications, but it’s a bit more complicated for the Level 7 qualifications. While the Trinity College London DipTESOL and the Cambridge DELTA both have an equal standing in the world of EFL teaching, the differences in the individual modules should be considered before making a decision.
The DipTESOL has 4 units – an extra unit focused mainly on integrating phonology into teaching. The research element of the DipTESOL, as well as the teaching practice sessions allow course participants more flexibility and autonomy. The DipTESOL has 3 types of research projects – allowing participants complete freedom of choice within the purview of each specific type. Teaching practice sessions in the DipTESOL include constant guidance and feedback from tutors through pre- and post- lesson discussions with facilitators.
On the other hand, with 3 modules, the DELTA does not have a phonology-focused module, and requires only a post-lesson written reflection after every teaching practice lesson, with no pre- or post- lesson discussions. The research element of the DELTA allows for only 1 of 2 types of projects – focused on either course design or teaching management.
While professionally the DipTESOL and the DELTA open similar doors, a participant’s choice should be made based on what they wish to gain from the course – what skills they want to develop and what they feel would benefit them more in the future.
You can read more in detail about the differences between the DipTESOL and the DELTA on our blog here.
You can also look at the articles on the topic by Dublin TEFL here and here, which we believe to be quite insightful.
For native speakers of English, the possibilities are endless; the opportunities for non-native speakers are slightly more limited, as some employers prefer hiring native speakers in such roles; however, countries in Asia and South America like Japan, the UAE, India, Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia, Columbia, Nepal and Ecuador are very welcoming to non-native speaking Trinity College London DipTESOL holders.
It is important to be realistic about the fact that the passport you hold may open or close certain doors for you; however, if you’re open to adventures and taking chances, there is a plethora of opportunities waiting for you, both online and offline.
An initial TEFL qualification such as the Trinity College London CertTESOL or the Cambridge CELTA is highly desirable but not essential.
The total minimum amount of ESOL teaching experience required is 960 hours (this amounts to approximately 2 years of full-time teaching experience), whether this has been completed full-time or part-time. A minimum of 75% of claimed teaching experience must be with classes while 25% may have been with one-to-one learners. All claimed ESOL teaching experience must have occurred within the five years prior to the interview for the course and the candidate must have had no more than one year’s break from ESOL teaching immediately prior to the start of the course. The teaching of all subjects other than ESOL is normally excluded from claimable teaching experience.
About the DipTESOL at CILA
We will not be responsible for your travel beyond this; however, any assistance you may need with renting vehicles, booking a cab, etc. we will be more than happy to provide! All you have to do is ask.
CILA has multiple desktop computers with active internet connections that can be used to complete your assignments, should you need to; however, these will only be available from 9 am to 5 pm and are for the perusal of the staff and students alike – as such, we cannot promise that these will always be available to participants for use as per their convenience.
If you are interested in working with us after your DipTESOL, we may certainly be able to provide you with a placement at CILA! You can learn more about the current openings at CILA here.
Do you have something else you’d like to know? Leave us a message and we’ll get right back to you!
Apply for DipTESOL