Trinity College London DipTESOL course
The Trinity Diploma in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (DipTESOL) is an advanced, internationally respected qualification designed for experienced teachers of ESOL/EFL who are looking to take their career to the next level and compete for some of the best jobs by gaining this advanced qualification in ELT. The Trinity DipTESOL is an internationally-recognized and respected advanced professional qualification for English Language Teaching. Many UK universities are now offering credits and/or exemptions on their MA and other courses for those who have obtained their DipTESOL. This qualification opens doors to other areas of the ELT profession. Our graduates have gone on to become teacher trainers, school managers, coursebook writers and Directors of Studies.
- Blended: Study for 7 months online (about 10-15 hours per week) followed by 4 weeks face to face at Cochin International Language Academy – CILA, Cochin, Kerala
- Practical: Emphasis throughout the course on developing teaching skills and applying insights to your classroom
- Phonology: Emphasis on teaching pronunciation unique to the Trinity course and highly valued by our graduates.
- Convenient: Option to submit video observations with young learners or adults
- Flexible: Work at times to suit your weekly schedule. Choose from 3 dates for the written exam and submit your portfolio when you are ready.
- Professional: Learn from world-class full time and guest tutors, including Lindsay Clandfield, Scott Thornbury and Adrian Underhill.
- Supportive: Receive unlimited support via email and Skype from our Course Director.
- Transformational: Develop your teaching skills and improve your chances of finding some of the best positions in ELT via our careers service
- Recognised: Gain a prestigious, internationally-recognized and advanced qualification in ELT.
Our DipTESOL tutors
Who is this course for?
The Trinity Diploma in TESOL is for English Language teachers (including primary and secondary school teachers) who have at least two years of full-time teaching experience of a variety of English language levels. Ideally, you would also have an initial qualification in ELT such as the Trinity CertTESOL as well. We won’t accept teachers onto the course unless we believe that you have the necessary experience and a strong chance of passing the course.
How can I take this course?
7 months online + 4 weeks face to face at CILA, Cochin, Kerala
The online phase
You would complete seven months of online training (350 hours in total) in our virtual classroom with a group of up to 16 international fellow teachers and our team of expert tutors. You will participate in forums, webinars, live video classes and email exchanges as you progress through the course. There are twenty, week-long modules (with some rest weeks in between) lead by one of our tutors. The interaction is not scheduled (other than a 45-minute live video class), so you can log into the course throughout the week to suit your own working day to complete your weekly assignments and prepare for exams.
Online Stage Start Dates
19th April 2021
What can I expect to learn during the online phase?
Our goal is to provide a course that is dynamic and practical and meets the needs of the participants so your work in our virtual classroom will be backed up with tasks that get you to apply ideas in your own classroom. With a team of highly experienced and qualified tutors, the online modules will help you to deepen your theoretical knowledge and practical skills while preparing for the four assessed units of the Trinity Dip TESOL course:
o Unit 1: Teacher Development and Language Awareness
o Unit 2: Research projects
o Unit 3: Phonology
o Unit 4: Teaching practice
Face to face phase
This follows the online phase. You would complete four weeks’ face-to-face training at CILA Kerala in October and November 2021. This phase includes:
- · Teaching practice, including lesson planning, observation and feedback from tutors.
- · Time working individually and with support from tutors. You will have four internally assessed lessons and one externally with a Trinity examiner.
- · External assessment of phonology and teaching practice with Trinity examiner.
- · In total, you will be studying in the school for 4 weeks for around 8 hours per day
How will I be assessed?
There are four assessed units on The Trinity DipTESOL course.
o Unit 1 – A written exam taken in one of our centres, or in another Trinity approved centre or British Council centre, in May, August or November. The paper is three hours long and consists of a grammar section and two sections with essay questions about teaching and learning.
o Unit 2 – A coursework portfolio including three action research projects. The projects involve observation of other trained teachers, reflection on your own teaching and a research project where you collect data. The expertise of your tutor will be matched to your chosen field. Work on the portfolio will be completed throughout the course You will need to base the reflection task on teaching a group or groups of at least 6 students for 15 hours in total.
o Unit 3 – A 30-minute interview with a Trinity examiner on phonetics and phonology.
o Unit 4 – Assessment of your teaching of five one hour lessons, each preceded by a discussion of your lesson plan (10 minutes) and followed by a discussion of the lesson with the examiner (20 minutes). Four lessons are assessed by Oxford Tefl tutors, the fifth by a Trinity examiner. For this part of the exam, you will be teaching students in one of our centres. You may be able to complete up to two of the Oxford TEFL assessed lessons via video with your regular students prior to the face to face part of the course.
Can you help me find work after the course?
We are committed to providing our graduates with the best lifelong career support possible. We work with you before, during and after the course to help you secure a new job if that is your aim. Since 1998, we have helped hundreds of our graduates find work all over the world (visa permitting). You can also stay in touch with our community of teachers, trainers and graduates by joining our Trinity DipTESOL Facebook group (exclusively for our teachers, graduates and trainers).
What are the course fees?
Option 1: Single payment
Deposit – €450 to secure place (deducted from your course fee)
Option 2: Four separate payments
Deposit – €450 to secure place + 3 installments of €750
Trinity examination fees: €517 (2019)
Required books: €200 approx
How can I enroll?
If you would like to take the next step in your career in ELT, follow these steps:
Step 1) Complete the application form
Step 2) We will contact you within 1 business day to arrange your interview
Step 3) If successful, we will send you a place offer and information about how to pay
To apply for the TRINITY DIPLOMA IN TESOL Click here